Trustee Code of Conduct
The Board commits itself and its members to conduct which meets the highest ethical standards. It is expected that all personal interactions and relationships will be characterized by mutual respect, which acknowledges the dignity and affirms the worth of each person.
- Trustees shall carry out their responsibilities as detailed in Policy 3 – Role of the Trustee with reasonable diligence.
- Trustees shall endeavour to work with fellow Board members in a spirit of harmony and cooperation in spite of differences of opinion that may arise during debate.
- Trustees shall reflect the Board’s policies and resolutions when communicating with the public.
- Trustees shall respect issues of a sensitive or confidential nature. Trustees shall keep confidential any personal, privileged or confidential information obtained in his or her capacity as a trustee and not disclose the information except when authorized by law or by the board to do so.
- Fiduciary responsibility supersedes any conflicting loyalty such as that to advocacy or interest groups and membership on other Boards or staffs, or acting as an individual consumer of the Division’s services.
- Trustees shall represent the Board responsibly in all Board-related matters with proper decorum and respect for others.
- Trustees shall disclose the nature of any pecuniary interest, and abstain and absent themselves from discussion or voting on the matter in question.
- Trustees shall not use their influence to obtain employment within the Division for family members or friends.
- Consequences for the failure of individual trustees to adhere to the Trustee Code of Conduct are specified in Policy 4 Appendix – Trustee Code of Conduct Sanctions.
February 19, 2020
Section 33(k), 52, 53, 77, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 Education Act