Staff Supervisory Relationships
The District recognizes that human relations problems can develop as a consequence of employees being required to supervise the work of other employees to whom they are related by blood or by marriage and therefore endorses the following statements regarding the placement of staff in supervisory positions:
- Employees of the District who are relatives will not be placed in direct-line supervisory relationships. e.g.
Superintendent – Principal
Principal – Teacher
Head Custodian – Custodian
- Employees of the District who are relatives will not be placed in indirect supervisory relationships within a given building. e.g.
Principal - Custodian
Superintendent - Secretary
- When two employees marry resulting in a conflict of interest situation, an alternative place of work shall be sought for one of the employees. The wishes of the employees affected shall be considered. If alternative places of work cannot be secured, the employees will be given an opportunity to determine which one is to resign.
- If it can be anticipated in advance that the hiring, promotion or transfer of an employee will result in a conflict of interest or favouritism potential for another employee he/she would supervise, the employees shall be advised of the necessity for them to discuss alternative positions in the District, such that would eliminate the conflict of interest or favouritism situation.
- This Administrative Procedure does not apply to short-term appointments to serve as a substitute when an employee is selected from a list of substitutes with appropriate qualifications to fulfill a particular assignment.
- Staff members will not be put in a position where they are responsible or have an interest in the performance appraisal of a relative, spouse or common law partner
- Staffing decisions regarding supervisory relationships restrictions may be set aside if:
- The position has been advertised
- Respondents without relationship to supervisors do not meet criteria
- Superintendent approval is given
March 16, 1987
March 10, 1997, May 14, 2001, November 28, 2011, September 21, 2016
Section 60, 61, 113 School Act
Alberta Human Rights Act
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
Canadian Human Rights Act
Canadian Multiculturalism Act
Charter of Rights and Freedoms