Role Of The Director of Administration and Human Resources
Guided by the Division’s vision, mission, motto and belief statements and our goals, the Director of Administration and Human Resources will assist the Superintendent in fulfilling the general and specific aspects of the role description for the Superintendent as defined in the School Act and Board policy.
The Director of Administration and Human Resources is directly responsible and accountable to the Superintendent. The Director of Administration and Human Resources will support the Deputy Superintendent and other members of the senior leadership team in specific responsibilities including:
- Human Resources Leadership and Management
- Provides for training of administrators and the development of leadership capacity within the Division as approved by the Superintendent.
- Provides effective Teacher and School Administrator Induction Programs.
- Provides recommendations to the Superintendent regarding strategic workforce planning.
- Assists Division personnel with human resources processes (e.g. conflict resolution and mediation).
- In collaboration with the Associate Superintendent, Business and Finance, provides support to the Board’s negotiating committees.
- Conducts the selection process and participates on the selection panel for all administrative positions other than that of the Superintendent.
- Recruits and hires all personnel in consultation with direct supervisor in accordance with Superintendent direction and approved budget
- Supervises, evaluates and reviews the performance of “direct reports”.
- Conducts the supervision and evaluation of school-based administrative staff, as requested by the Superintendent.
- Establishes the frameworks for supervision and evaluation of all personnel.
- Supervises the evaluation of school staff by, and in consultation with, principals.
- Reviews Principal Professional Growth Plans in accordance with Superintendent direction.
- Provides support to ensure that each staff member is provided with a welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning and working environment that respects diversity and fosters a sense of belonging.
- Administers all employment contracts in the best interests of the Division, including leaves, transfers, transitions to retirement.
- Administers the employee classification system (job descriptions, grid placements) in accordance with Superintendent direction.
- Administers the Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- Administers all personnel files.
- Within areas of responsibility, provides for legal opinions as required.
- Provides supervisory expertise to principals and Division personnel.
- Provides support, as requested, to the Assistant Superintendent, Education and the Director of Education in matters related to staff professional development.
- Ensures Division compliance with the requirements of Occupational Health and Safety legislation.
- Student Learning and Wellness
- Supports the implementation of School Education Plans.
- Supports implementation of the school review process.
- Provides support to ensure that each student is provided with a welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning environment that respects diversity and fosters a sense of belonging.
- Develops and maintains positive and effective relations with provincial government departments and regional/community agencies which provide services/supports to students.
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Makes recommendations with the other members of the Senior Leadership Team to the Superintendent regarding staff allocations in the Division budget.
- Helps develop department budgets within the parameters and constraints of the Division budget.
- Ensures the proper fiscal management of department budget allocations.
- Operates in a fiscally prudent and responsible manner.
- Policy/Administrative Procedures
- Assists the Superintendent in the planning, implementation of Board policy and Administrative Procedures within areas of responsibility.
- Provides leadership in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Board Policy and Administrative Procedures within areas of responsibility.
- Ensures the application of Board policy and Division administrative procedures as required in the performance of duties.
- Organizational Management
- Within areas of responsibility, demonstrates effective organizational skills resulting in compliance with all legal, Ministerial and Board mandates and timelines, and adherence to Superintendent directives.
- Contributes to a Division culture which facilitates positive results, effectively handles emergencies, and deals with crisis situations in a team-oriented, collaborative and cohesive fashion.
- Communications and Community Relations
- Takes appropriate actions to ensure open, transparent internal communications (and external when required) are developed and maintained in areas of responsibility.
- Ensures staff, students, and parents have a high level of satisfaction with the services provided and the responsiveness of the department.
- Investigates and facilitates resolution of concerns and conflicts.
- Superintendent Relations
- Establishes and maintains positive, professional working relations with the Superintendent.
- Honours and facilitates the implementation of the Board’s roles and responsibilities as defined in Board policy and encourages staff to do the same.
- Provides information which the Superintendent requires to perform his/her role in an exemplary fashion.
- Leadership Practices
- Practices leadership in a manner that is viewed positively and has the support of those with whom he works in carrying out the Superintendent’s expectations.
- Exhibits a high level of personal, professional and organizational integrity.
December 17, 2018
December 3, 2020, August 23, 2021
Sections 11, 33, 52, 53, 68, 196, 197, 204, 222, 225 Education Act
Employment Standards Code
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
Labour Relations Code
Teaching Professional Act